The path to a Dealer-operator license begins with a required two-day course of study each month at various community colleges in Virginia with the curriculum and instruction provided by VIADA.
The course takes the attendee from establishing the dealership under local zoning and Dealer Board requirements, through the sales process with its multitude of forms, laws and regulations, in to a sampling of opening and operating expenses, and ending with a discussion on ethics.
The course is open to all existing dealers and their employees.
The course offers 1.6 continuing education credits transferable to any college.
||Tidewater Community College Suffolk
||Lord Fairfax Community College in Warrenton
||J Sargeant Reynolds in Henrico/Richmond
||Northern Virginia Community College in Reston
||Blue Ridge Community College in Weyers Cave
||Germanna Community College Fredericksburg
||Lord Fairfax Community College in Middletown
Before attending the Dealer-operator class, the following is recommended:
Further information may be obtained from the MVDB or the VIADA staff at the above numbers.
- If you are going to start a new dealership, request a “New Dealer Package” from the Motor Vehicle Dealer Board (MVDB) at 804-367-1100 (in Richmond 367-1100).
- This package will contain a Salesperson and a Dealer- operator Study Guide for you to review. It will also have the paperwork needed to apply for a license and a step-by-step procedure for opening the dealership.
- If you currently have a salesperson license, and need to up grade to a Dealer-operator certificate of qualification, you can obtain the Dealer-operator Study Guide from your local DMV Customer Service Center. You will not have to take the salesperson part of the exam at DMV, after completing the Dealer-operator course, only the Dealer-operator portion is required.
- If you have access to the Internet, you can go to
www.mvdb.virginia.gov and select “Dealer and Salesperson”. Then select “Practice Salesperson Test” it will give you ten questions to answer. Select “Take Another Exam” and you will get ten questions that are different. “View Manual” will give you the Salesperson and Dealer-operator Study Guides online.
- When attending the Dealer-operator class, please bring pencil or pen and a good calculator with which you are comfortable. Classes start at 8:30 AM and end around 4:00 PM.
- The course test will be given at the end of instruction on the second day. You must pass this test with a grade of 80% before taking the final exam at a DMV Customer Service Center. Those who do not pass will be required to retake the course at a future time. An additional fee is required.